[R-SIG-Finance] Newbie question on risk free Interest Rate

Mahesh Krishnan heshriti at gmail.com
Sun Dec 28 23:37:14 CET 2008

The answer to your problem lies in understanding the replicating portfolio for the instrument you are trying to price.

In the case of a bond, you can reproduce the payoffs by reinvesting proceeds of a short tenor bill into the forward term structure. Hence, the discount rate must be the same as the tenor of the bond.

In the case of an option, replication is done by continuously rebalancing a stock-money market portfolio. So, the interest rate you need is the short rate, example the overnight repo rate.

Mahesh.

Sent via BlackBerry