[R-SIG-Finance] IBrokers

Jeff Ryan jeff.a.ryan at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 19:01:18 CET 2008

I wanted to clarify my "unless you are insane" comment of the previous reply.

The original intention of IBrokers was not to necessarily provide a
trading platform from within R. Its purpose was to provide easy access
from R to *data* from Interactive Brokers.

reqHistoricalData, reqMktData, reqMktDepth and reqRealTimeBars are
indeed quite robust and useful.

The CALLBACK mechanisms are also very useful for testing R-coded
strategies against live market data.

There is some thinking (work) to provide the actual order-entry side
of the IB API to IBrokers users, but this is currently very crude and
minimally tested.  Single-threaded R makes some things difficult to
accomplish.

Using a paper account for all of the above is feasible and advisable.

The beauty of R (and OSS) is that all the details as to how it works
are in front of you.  It is up to the end-user to understand and be
comfortable with the mechanisms.

Jeff
(IBrokers author)

--