[R-SIG-Finance] Correlation between two asynchronous time series?

Patrick Burns patrick at burns-stat.com
Sat Nov 15 11:09:26 CET 2008

 From an offline message, it appears that a bit of explanation
might be in order for those that don't understand what we
are talking about.

Suppose we want to know the correlation between
Ford and GM stock prices (an example that may well
become obsolete).  We just get daily returns for each
of the stocks and compute their correlation.  No problem.

Now suppose we have daily data for the S&P500 and
the Nikkei.  We can compute a correlation from this
data -- no problem.  Except that the estimate we get
doesn't have the meaning we want it to have (it will tend
to be too close to zero).  In this example lining up the
dates does not line up the time of the data.

There are three possible strategies (as far as I can see):

* Move to lower frequency -- weekly seems to get rid
of the majority of the asynchrony effect while not being
excessively low frequency.

* Stay with daily data but model it.

* Move to intraday data.  This works for Europe versus
US data because there is overlap in the times that the
markets are open.  It does not work for Japan with a
lot of markets because there is no overlap.

Pat