[R-SIG-Finance] Generic versus calendar futures in trading models

markleeds at verizon.net markleeds at verizon.net
Wed Nov 12 18:49:46 CET 2008

  i don't know what exactly you're doing but to deal with that you need
to calculate the adjusted price ( adjusted return ) taking into account
the rollover or things will get totally whacked. how to do that is in
schwager's book or probably any decent intro futures book. if you can't
find it, i can try to explain it but it's
a little tricky and i bet a book can do better. essentially you
calculate the daily returns not counting the rollover day ( you have to
skip that one because
that's not a real return )  and then calculate the new adjusted prices
based on those returns. then you use thos adjustede prices to do
whatever you're doing.