[R-SIG-Finance] transition matrices and "robustness"

Sean O'Riordain seanpor at acm.org
Wed Nov 5 21:33:35 CET 2008

Thanks for that Debashis,

Well the transition matrices (TM)  themselves are interesting - e.g.
we might have a 6% chance of a NORM going OD, and a 86% chance that an
OD pays up and goes NORM again.  So I was looking at these TMs
breaking out different industry sectors or loan purposes etc... as
they give us a better and more objective handle on the relative
problem size in different groups of loans.

Then there is the possibility further down the road of modeling the
entire book in the near term - i.e. over the next three months.  Or
even looking at how the book might be cut into similar clusters... but
I've no clue how I might do this - I can understand the concept of
linear cluster "distance" but not when the "distance"  is a transition
matrix! (computational intensity aside!)

Many thanks again,
Sean