[R-SIG-Finance] Returns used to compute the alpha and the beta

Benoit Schmid Benoit.Schmid at unige.ch
Thu Oct 30 08:50:47 CET 2008

Good morning,

Thanks for providing the file.

For comparing the averages, you need to to use the same samples.

For the arithmetic averages, you take the values that are in
the rows 4 up to 42.
For the geometric average, you take the values that are
in the rows 4 up to 255.

This is why we have very different values.

Your summary is:
	Arithmetic returns	Geometric returns
arithmetic	-0.13	-0.13
geometric	-0.07	-0.07
"real" return	-0.07	-0.07

If you inverse the sampling selection
(4-42 for geometric average and 4-255 fo arithmetic average)
you get:
	Arithmetic returns	Geometric returns
arithmetic	-0.07	-0.07
geometric	-0.12	-0.13
"real" return	-0.07	-0.07

Which could be interpreted as arithmetic is better as geometric.

If you use the same samples for both (rows 4-255),
we get a very close value
	Arithmetic returns	Geometric returns
arithmetic	-0.07	-0.07
geometric	-0.07	-0.07
"real" return	-0.07	-0.07

Basically in you example all means converges to the real values.
This is the case because daily return are small.
Therefore (1+x)*(1+y) ~ 1+x+y because xy is very small.

See you,