[R-SIG-Finance] Returns used to compute the alpha and the beta

Brian G. Peterson brian at braverock.com
Mon Oct 27 12:45:26 CET 2008

You will find all of the classic CAPM functions implemented in
PerformanceAnalytics, including CAPM.alpha, CAPM.beta (and their bul/up
and bear/down market counterparts), timing.ratio, Return.excess,
CAPM.Riskpremium, and the SML and CML.  We have attempted to implement
these using the definitions described in Sharpe's papers as well as
generally agreed by other authors who have covered CAPM.  So all your
functions, I hope, are already written, documented, and cited.

There is some disagreement in the literature and among practitioners
regarding different aspects of CAPM that affect your inquiry.  One of
them is the risk free rate.  In the original papers the risk free rate
was a single (scalar numeric) number, while many more recent sources and
practitioners prefer to use the risk free rate as a time series (for
instance of returns on Treasury bills).  The function Return.excess
allows either a scalar or time series representation.

Classic CAPM alpha will not change based on the periodicity, as it
measures the _portion_ of a set of returns that are not attributable to
the benchmark return, and should be calculated with the highest regular
periodicity available. Return.excess may calculate what you are
referring to as "alpha" if by alpha you mean returns over a benchmark
return, in which case you would first run Return.excess using the
benchmark return as the parameter 'rf' and then cumulate your daily log
returns to get a cumulative return over some other periodicity (annual
in your query).

Returns and 'risk' may be annualized as a way to simplify comparison
over longer time periods.  Although it requires a bit of estimating,
such aggregation is popular because it offers a reference point for easy
comparison. "Annualizing" the CAPM numbers and other related numbers
such as the  Sharpe ratio you will find significant disagreement among
different authors.  We have provided in our functions many of these
different interpretations, including 'Return.annualized',
'sd.annualized', and 'SharpeRatio.annualized' functions.

We have also provided many of the extensions of classic CAPM by Sharpe,
Sortino, and others that are generally grouped into "Modern Portfolio
Theory".  In addition to The Sortino ration and related semivariance and
downside deviation measures, you will find active premium, information
ration, and tracking error implemented in most of their commonly
presented forms.

Hopefully my long response helps to answer your question.  If there are
other questions that this raises, please ask them, and the list will
attempt to provide a rational response.

Regards,

    - Brian