[R-SIG-Finance] forecasting earnings, sales and gross margin of a company...

Rory.WINSTON at rbs.com Rory.WINSTON at rbs.com
Thu Oct 23 11:51:53 CEST 2008

Dealing with accounting data is, in statistical terms, an ill-posed problem - there is not much data and quite a few dimensions. That said, there is a lot of research out there on applying statistical techniques to accounting data for the purposes of prediction and classification. But most prediction based on financial statements is based on much more fundamental techniques (e.g. a discounted cash flow analysis).

Rory

Rory Winston
RBS Global Banking & Markets