[R-SIG-Finance] Career/Educational Advice - First Post

Steven D. Moffitt steve.moffitt at stuart.iit.edu
Fri Oct 3 02:11:51 CEST 2008

Dear R Users Group,

For statistical applications, I have found R to be superior to Matlab and Mathematica, and equal to SPlus.  I use R for all modelling applications in my market research.

>From my standpoint, the best feature of R is that professional statisticians publish cutting-edge work in R packages.  Some of this new work is quite useful in developing trading systems, portfolio selection, etc.

The other main reason I prefer R is that the data types are explicitly structured for statistical analysis - e.g. data.frames carry row labels and field names, factors are useful for grouped analyses and so on, and the type of "object oriented" structures suffice to build analytic hierarchies.

Besides R, I use OpenOffice routinely.

Best,

Steve Moffitt, Ph.D.

Director of Research