[R-SIG-Finance] Career/Educational Advice - First Post

Thomas Steiner finbref.2006 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 18:20:21 CEST 2008

> 2. How much of open-source technology, R/Rmetrics is being used by the
> financial industry? ...

I work in the Front office (part of the "financial industry") in
Emerging markets fixed income and I can say that people here prefer
here quick, dirty and simple and so they stick to ready made solutions
of all these ready made (grahical) solutions of proprietary software,
namely unsing the Bloomberg and Reuters addins in Excel to look at
things (and use them in MS Word). No open source - not only because IT
guy do not allow us to install our own software, but people just use
it for historical reasons and they are unwilling to learn sth new.
Probably for real "quants" this is differnt.
Thomas