[R] Log rank test power calculations

Wittner, Ben, Ph.D. Wittner.Ben at mgh.harvard.edu
Thu Jan 31 17:39:25 CET 2008

I suspect that someone will write saying that what you want is in one or a few
packages, but you might also find the code below useful.
(Note, the first two functions require the third.)
-Ben

##
##  Do power calculation of Freedman for Cox PH as set forth on page 733
##  of 5th edition of Rosner, "Fundamentals of Biostatistics"
##
##            k = ratio of (# subjects in exposed group) to
##                         (# subjects in control)
##            t = max time of follow-up
##           RR = (hazard rate for exposed group) /
##                (hazard rate for control group)
##    lambda[j] = Rosner's lambda_(j-1)
##     delta[j] = Rosner's delta_(j-1)
##
survivalUtil.power <- function(n.1, n.2, t, RR, lambda, delta, alpha=0.05) {
  pf <- survivalUtil.probFail(t, RR, lambda, delta)
  k <- n.1/n.2
  m <- n.1*pf$p.E + n.2*pf$p.C
  pnorm(sqrt(k*m)*abs(RR - 1)/(k*RR + 1) - qnorm(1 - alpha/2))
}

##
##  Do sample-size calculation of Freedman for Cox PH as set forth
##  on page 735
##  of 5th edition of Rosner, "Fundamentals of Biostatistics"
##
##            k = ratio of (# subjects in exposed group) to
##                         (# subjects in control)
##            t = max time of follow-up
##           RR = (hazard rate for exposed group) /
##                (hazard rate for control group)
##    lambda[j] = Rosner's lambda_(j-1)
##     delta[j] = Rosner's delta_(j-1)
##
##  Value: n1 - number of people needed in exposed group
##         n2 - number of people needed in control group
##
survivalUtil.sampSize <- function(k, t, RR, lambda, delta,
                                  alpha=0.05, beta=.2) {
  m <- ((1/k)*(((k*RR + 1)/(RR - 1))^2)*
        ((qnorm(1 - (alpha/2)) + qnorm(1 - beta))^2))
  pf <- survivalUtil.probFail(t, RR, lambda, delta)
  n.1 <- (m*k)/((k*pf$p.E) + pf$p.C)
  n.2 <- m/((k*pf$p.E) + pf$p.C)
  list(n.1=n.1, n.2=n.2)
}

##
##  Compute probabilties of failure used by survivalUtil.power() and
##  survivalUtil.sampSize()
##
survivalUtil.probFail <- function(t, RR, lambda, delta) {
  A <- cumprod(1 - lambda)[1:t]
  B <- cumprod(1 - (RR*lambda))[1:t]
  C <- cumprod(1 - delta)[1:t]
  D <- lambda[2:(t + 1)]*A*C