[R] dates in French format

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jan 31 08:11:48 CET 2008

The output from sessionInfo() the posting guide asked for would have been
very helpful here.

I think the problem is likely to be that these are not standard French
abbreviations according to my systems.  On Linux I get

> format(Sys.Date(), "%d-%b-%y")
[1] "31-jan-08"
> format(Sys.Date()-50, "%d-%b-%y")
[1] "12-déc-07"

and on Windows

> format(Sys.Date(), "%d-%b-%y")
[1] "31-janv.-08"

> format(Sys.Date()-50, "%d-%b-%y")
[1] "12-déc.-07"

And yes, chron is US-centric and so only allows English names.

Assuming you know exactly what is meant by 'French short format', I think
the simplest thing to do is to set up a table by

tr <- month.abb
names(tr)[1] <- c("janv")  # complete it

x <- "9-janv-08"
x2 <- strsplit(x, "-")
x3 <- sapply(x2, function(x) {x[2] <- tr[x[2]]; paste(x, collapse="-")})
as.Date(x3, format = "%d-%b-%y")