[R] dates in French format

Denis Chabot chabotd at globetrotter.net
Thu Jan 31 05:29:20 CET 2008

Hello R users,

I have to import a file with one column containing dates written in
French short format, such as:

    7-déc-07
   11-déc-07
   14-déc-07
   18-déc-07
   21-déc-07
   24-déc-07
   26-déc-07
   28-déc-07
   31-déc-07
   2-janv-08
   4-janv-08
   7-janv-08
   9-janv-08
  11-janv-08
  14-janv-08
  16-janv-08
  18-janv-08

There are other columns for other (numeric) variables in the data
file. In my read.csv2 statement, I indicate that the date column must
be imported "as.is" to keep it as character.

I would like to transform this into a date object in R. So far I've
used chron for my dates and times needs, but I am willing to change if
another object/package will ease the task of importing these dates.

My reading of the chron help led me to believe that the formats it
understands are only month names in English.

Are there other "formats" I can use with chron, or must I somehow edit
this character variables to replace French month names by English ones
(or numbers from 1 to 12)?

Thanks in advance,

Denis
p.s. I read this in digest mode, so I'll get your replies faster if
you cc to my email