[R] Waiting bar

Henrik Bengtsson hb at stat.berkeley.edu
Wed Jan 30 19:11:58 CET 2008

For text-based progress bars see the ProgressBar class in R.utils, e.g.

# A "faster" progress bar with default step length 1.4.
pb <- ProgressBar(max=42, stepLength=1.4)
reset(pb)
while (!isDone(pb)) {
  x <- rnorm(3e4)
  increase(pb)
  Sys.sleep(0.02)
}
cat("\n")
Output: [.........|.........|.........|.........|.]
print(pb)
[1] "ProgressBar: max=42, value=42"

See also subclass FileProgressBar, which instead of writing to stdout
writes to a file in way that the file size equals the progress.  This
is useful when you batch process jobs in the background and a simple
'ls -l' via ssh or a 'dir' via ftp will tell you the progress of an R
job.

There is also TextStatusBar, e.g. example(TextStatusBar) gives:

Processing array.html (3.35kB)
Processing as.data.frame.html (4.23kB)
Processing as.environment.html (1.63kB)
Processing as.function.html (2.28kB)
Processing as.POSIXlt.html (5.97kB)
File: args.html                                    [  4%   3822 lines 10:10:19]

Hard to explain what it looks like, but try it.  (If you run Rgui on
Windows make sure to turn off buffered output).

/Henrik