[R] Fourier Analysis and Curve Fitting in R

stephen sefick ssefick at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 03:19:05 CET 2008

well if you want to find the spectral density aka what frequencies
explain most of the variance then I would suggest the spectral
density.  This can be implemented with spec.pgram().  This is
conducted with the fast fourier transform algorithm.
> a<-ts(data, frequency = 1)   #make the time series with 365readings/365days
>?spec.pgram
and you should be able to take it from here

This will give you the raw periodogram and the dominant frequencies
after you smooth the periodogram.  If your intention is to just fit a
curve to your data there are many types of cuve fitting options moving
average etc.

What are you trying to do find the dominant periodicy? make a
prediction equation? fit a smooth line? or...

give us some more information and maybe we can help