[R] how to skip last lines while reading the data in R

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 16:52:27 CET 2008

If you don't mind reading it in twice its just:

DF <- read.table("xy.dat", header = TRUE, nrow =
length(readLines("xy.dat")) - 3)
tail(DF)
# or
DF <- read.table("xy.dat", header = TRUE, nrow =
length(count.fields("xy.dat")) - 3)
tail(DF)
# or
DF <- read.table("xy.dat", header = TRUE, nrow =
nrow(read.table("xy.dat", header = TRUE)) - 2)
tail(DF)