[R] Help - linear regression

David Young dyoung at telefonica.net
Fri Jan 25 12:27:17 CET 2008

Thanjavur,

I'm new to R, so it is possible I'm interpreting you syntax
incorrectly, but it looks like in the second equation you are only
including the interaction of age*race, the main effect of age, but
not the main effect of race which is what came out significant in your
first model.

In effect you have measured two different things and one of them is
significant.  In the first regression you have measured a general
shift in the regression giving each racial group a different
intercept.  In the second, you are measuring whether there should be
two different slopes for the line relating to age.  One for european
ages and one for non-european ages, which did not turn out to be
significant.

Based on the information you have presented you should not include the
interaction, but should include the main effect for race.  HOWEVER, as
a general rule, you should include the main effects along with your
test for interactions between them.  age,race,age*race
When you do this it is possible that the interaction will then also be
significant.

Hope that helps.

Dave

--