[R] testing coeficients of glm

Achim Zeileis Achim.Zeileis at wu-wien.ac.at
Thu Jan 24 21:38:16 CET 2008

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008, peter salzman wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> i'm trying to test if a linear combination of coefficients of glm is equal
> to 0. For example :
> class 'cl' has 3 levels (1,2,3) and 'y' is a response variable. We want to
> test  H0: mu1 + mu2 - mu3 =0 where mu1,mu2, and mu3 are  the means for each
> level.

Look at
  linear.hypothesis()
in package "car".

## data (reduce treatment to three levels)
data("OrchardSprays")
os <- subset(OrchardSprays, treatment %in% c("A", "B", "C"))
os$treatment <- factor(os$treatment)

## model and test
fm <- lm(decrease ~ 0 + treatment, data = os)
coef(fm)
linear.hypothesis(fm, "treatmentA + treatmentB - treatmentC = 0")

See the accompanying documentation for an overview which extractor
functions (such as coef, vcov, etc.) are used to compute the test.

hth,