[R] select repositories under linux

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Tue Jan 22 15:49:50 CET 2008

This is questionable advice for many CRAN packages, and horrible advice
for a Bioconductor package. If there are any dependencies (and BioC
packages often have many, and their dependencies may have
dependencies...) you can end up in download hell, all because you have
ignored the functionality that exists in R to handle such things.

As other posters have noted, you can use setRepositories(). You can also
set this in your .Rprofile file with something like

options(repos=(CRAN="http://ACloseRepository"))

so you don't have to do anything interactively.

Then use install.packages(), with dependencies=TRUE if you think there
may be dependencies (although I don't think it hurts if there are none).

For Bioconductor packages, use biocLite()

source("http://www.bioconductor.org/biocLite.R")
biocLite("GEOquery")

Best,

Jim