[R] Bugs through R in Mac

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de
Tue Jan 22 09:56:24 CET 2008

Bill Northcott wrote:
> On 21/01/2008, at 10:00 PM, Uwe Ligges wrote:
>> Fredrik Lundgren wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I recently changed from Win XP to Mac OS X (10.5.1).
>>> Is there a way to run  Bugs (in any version) in R (R version 2.6.0
>>> (2007-10-03)) on this platform?
>>>

>> Which way to "run Bugs in R" did you use in Windows?
>> On MacOS X, a solution that should work but is completely inelegant is
>> using the package R2WinBUGS, and running WinBUGS within DarWINE. There
>> are some rumors that OpenBUGS development will be forced within the next
>> couple of months, but I am not that confident that we will have a
>> natively working BRugs version on Mac OS X or Linux this year ...
>
> I just posted a message about this on r-sig-mac.
>
> I spent a little time on this late last year.
>
> WinBUGS runs happily under DarWINE or the commercial package
> CrossoverMac.  There is nothing inelegant about it.

It is inelegant in at least two points:
1. R2WinBUGS is a mess per se, we all want to use something that runs
natively within R, such as BRugs or jags.
2. running the WinBUGS instance in xyz-WINE things does not make things
faster and more elegant from my point of view.

> R2WinBUGS is another can of worms.  The code to support running WinBUGS
> in WINE on Linux or Mac is thoroughly broken.  The problem is in the
> need to convert Windows paths to UNIX ones.  R2WinBUGS does this using
> undocumented and unsupported features of some versions of WINE.  As is
> the way with unsupported features these have been changed on recent
> versions of WINE and broken R2WinBUGS.
>
> The fix is not trivial, and the WINE support stuff in R2WinBUGS needs to
> be completely rewritten.  I can see what needs to be done, and if I find
> the time, I will fix it.

Contributions are welcome. I do not touch that xyz...-WINE conversion
stuff at all.

Best wishes,
uwe