[R] ESS (was "changing color scheme in R in UNIX")

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Mon Jan 21 09:03:19 CET 2008

    ChuckB> On Sun, 20 Jan 2008, Andrew Yee wrote:
    >> Hi, I've been using R in Windows but am now starting to
    >> use it more often in the UNIX environment.  In Windows,
    >> I'm used to the text provided by the user appearing in
    >> red, and the output from R appearing in blue.  Is there a
    >> way to achieve this in UNIX?

    ChuckB> What you describe is called 'syntax highlighting'.

    ChuckB> There are some editors that let you run R and
    ChuckB> provide syntax highlighting and other nifty
    ChuckB> features.

    ChuckB> My first choice is emacs which has a package (aka
    ChuckB> mode) called ESS. There are links on the r-project
    ChuckB> home page (which for sime reason is timing out for
    ChuckB> me right now) to editors including emacs-ESS. Or go
    ChuckB> to the emacs-ESS home page

    ChuckB>  	http://stat.ethz.ch/ESS/

Thanks a lot, Chuck!
BTW, the above is equivalent to
     http://ESS.r-project.org/
     -------------------------
which is slightly preferred.

BTW: I've been looking for a (or a few) volunteer to rewriting
that web page using things like CSS and/or PHP but not using a
CMS with data base back end).

Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich

    ChuckB> or try

    ChuckB>  	RSiteSearch("editor")

    ChuckB> where you will find links to 'what is the best
    ChuckB> editor' discussions.

    ChuckB> HTH,

    ChuckB> Chuck