[R] "non-plot" plotting

Charilaos Skiadas cskiadas at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 19:18:35 CET 2008

On Jan 17, 2008, at 9:44 AM, Johannes Graumann wrote:

> I really do not know ho to else title this ... I want to draw
> something like
> the attached png with R and would like to poll you on how to
> start ... make
> an empty plot first and then start positioning the characterstring
> by 'text' and then drawing the lines ...

That sound about right. I would probably do some computations first
to determine how much space I would need etc. A key thing I think
would be to choose a good coordinate system, that would make placing
the text and lines easier. I would also probably write minifunctions,
that place a whole "y plus its lines" etc.

Now, if you want kerning on the letters, that probably gets trickier.
But as long as you are willing to assume a fixed horizontal space for
each letter, I see no problems. (In your case, for instance, I would
probably choose the x dimensions to go from 0 to 13, and place the
letters each at the coordinates 1 through 12, centered).

> Joh
> <sequence.png>

Haris Skiadas
Hanover College