[R] R and Vista

Alberto Monteiro albmont at centroin.com.br
Wed Jan 16 20:52:16 CET 2008

Duncan Murdoch wrote:

>> Thank you for your answer.
>> I get a very strange path on my R.home():
>> " C:\\PROGRA~2\\R\\R-25~1.0"
>> And the command
>> readLines(C:\\PROGRA~2\\R\\R-25~1.0\etc\Rprofile.site)  returns an Error
(a
>> syntax one, I triple checked the syntax...)
>> Would you know what this means?
>
> The error is about the single backslashes (I used forward slashes,
> because that's what R uses internally), and the lack of quotes.  You
> should try
>
> readLines("C:\\PROGRA~2\\R\\R-25~1.0/etc/Rprofile.site")
>
> However, I'm guessing based on your path that you're using R 2.5.x.
> I'd upgrade to 2.6.1 if you can; it has had some things fixed to
> deal with Vista.

There might be other problems: from her name and the paths
she gave, she's probably brazilian or portuguese. Windows,
in Portuguese, does a very stupid thing (not as stupid as
spaces inside filenames, but a close second): it uses _accented_
characters in filenames and paths. And they are not standard.
So there may be a filename conflict here.

Alberto Monteiro