[R] Installing one channel GUI

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jan 16 13:44:29 CET 2008

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008, Schraga Schwartz wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to install oneChannelGui on my computer. For this purpose, I've
> tried to carefully follow the manual, and done the following:
>
> 1.	I've installed the Affy power tools
> 2.	I've installed TCL from
> http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActiveTcl/ (by following the link at the
> right side of the page, and installing activeTCL8.5.0.0)

So this is a Windows computer.  You need Tcl/Tk 8.4.x, not 8.5.0 (which is
later than the current R release), and you need to read the rw-FAQ (which
is on the Rgui Help menu) Q4.6 and set the variables it tells you about
(or compile R from the sources yourself after configuring it to use
8.5.x).

BTW, the message is wrong: R comes with complete Tcl/Tk libraries, just
not all third-party addons.

I am Cc:ing the package maintainer to ask him to correct this.

> Nonetheless, when I try running the oneChannelGUI I get an error message
> starting off like this:
>
> Cannot find Tcl/Tk package "BWidget".         affylmGUI cannot continue.
>
> affylmGUI requires the Tcl/Tk extensions, BWidget and Tktable.
>
> You must have Tcl/Tk installed on your computer, not just the minimal
> Tcl/Tk installation which comes with R (for Windows).               If you
> do have
> Tcl/Tk installed, including the extensions (e.g. using the ActiveTcl
> distribution in Windows), make sure that R can find the path to the
> Tcl library, e.g. C:\Tcl\lib (on Windows) or /usr/lib (on Linux/Unix)
> or /sw/lib on Mac OSX.
>
> This error message contains a reference to a FAQ for windows users (like
> myself): http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/R/rw-FAQ.html. However, this webpage
> does not come up.

So please will the package author fix the (long-outdated) reference.  The
canonical URL is

http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/base/rw-FAQ.html

but it may be better to link to

http://cran.r-project.org/faqs.html