[R] re adline detection problems

deegs_ca deegs_ca at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 14 23:28:29 CET 2008

I ran into identical readline problems.  For me appealing to the sysadmin to
install readline correctly with rpms or the like was not an option.  I
needed a personal copy of R which I could update and add packages to at my
own discretion. So I

1. got readline 5.2 from gnu.org.
2. From readline extracted distribution root folder, called ./configure
--prefix=/myreadlinehome; make; make install
3. From R extracted distribution root folder, executed the following
configure command
./configure LDFLAGS="-L/myreadlinehome/lib"  --prefix=/myrhome
CPPFLAGS="-I/myreadlinehome/include/"

Performing those steps allowed me to build a version of R with all the
familiar up/down arrow tab completion etc.