[R] Randomization tests, grouped data

Johannes Hüsing johannes at huesing.name
Fri Jan 11 22:15:15 CET 2008

Tom Backer Johnsen <backer at psych.uib.no> [Fri, Jan 11, 2008 at 06:57:41PM CET]:
[...]
> > Are there something that can handle this in R?

Have you considered the coin package?

> After a few hours thinking on and off about the problem, I suspect
> that the question may be stupid or silly (or both).  If that is the
> case, I would very much like to know why.

I am not quite clear in my thinking anymore, but there are 2^2n
permutations, of which (2n choose n) happen to yield the same
effect. These cases are "part of life" and should be counted in
the permutation test just as well. You might save a little bit of
computation time by singling these group-preserving permutations
out, but this is not worth the while at all.

--
Johannes Hüsing               There is something fascinating about science.
                              One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture