[R] Oddities with RSiteSearch?

Zembower, Kevin kzembowe at jhuccp.org
Fri Jan 11 21:48:35 CET 2008

[If I knew who to report this to privately, I would. Sorry to embarrass
anyone who's just trying to contribute to the R-project.]

There seems to be some oddities with the RSiteSearch web page. When I
enter 'RSiteSearch("console")' I'm taken to
http://search.r-project.org/cgi-bin/namazu.cgi?query=console&max=20&resu
lt=normal&sort=score&idxname=Rhelp02a&idxname=functions&idxname=docs. On
this page, the "How to search" link goes to
http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/namazu.html#query, which gives me an '403
Forbidden' error.

At the bottom of the page is "This search system is powered by Namazu
v". The text "Namazu" is a link to http://www.namazu.org/, which, when
clicked on, starts a download rather than displaying a page. Also, the
email address at the bottom, foobar at namazu.org, is suspicious. I realize
that these last two errors might be caused by the system RSiteSearch
uses to form indicies, but we may want to suppress them until that
organization gets them working correctly.

Thanks for your efforts in setting up the RSiteSearch system; I use it
all the time.

-Kevin

Kevin Zembower
Internet Services Group manager