[R] how to make read-only data frames?

Dan Kelley Dan.Kelley at dal.ca
Fri Jan 11 15:13:28 CET 2008

QUESTION: is there a way to make objects (e.g. data frames) read-only?

BACKGROUND: I am writing some functions that use a data frame (frequencies
of tidal constituents) that I want to be read-only.  I can see how to
accomplish this within a single function (just define the data in the
function), but I'm not sure how to share read-only values between
(un-nested) functions.  Is there a more elegant method than duplicating the
creation of the data frame in each function?