[R] Error: Bad value

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jan 11 10:27:16 CET 2008

Please don't multiple post:

https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2008-January/150004.html

is the same message.  As you didn't follow the posting guide, you did not
get a reply from me the first time (and nor it seems from anyone else).

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008, Sven Garbade wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> from time to time I got an "Error: bad value" and must restart R. The
> mail archives suggests memory corruption, but I do not run "special" C
> code, only base R calls.

Yes, it indicates memory corruption, but not necessarily 'bad RAM'.  It
indicates that some of R's basic structures are broken.  Without the
reproducible example asked for, we can't help further (but from the
message I can tell that this comes from a package, not base R).

> I use R release 2.6.22 on a Debian GNU/Linux (version "testing") on a

There is no such version of R.