[R] Omnibus main effects in summary.lme?

Andrew Beckerman a.beckerman at sheffield.ac.uk
Fri Jan 11 00:42:36 CET 2008

Adam -

Without resorting to the rather rich lmer/lme4 discussion realm, you
need to base anova() comparisons of lme models with different fixed
effects on maximum liklihood estimates rather tham REML.

anova(update(l2,method="ML"),update(l2,~.-useful:nusience,method="ML"))

should avoid the error and give a conservative estimate of the
significance of your interaction.

see also:
http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/R/e2/help/06/10/3565.html

and related posts.

Dr. Andrew Beckerman
Department of Animal and Plant Sciences, University of Sheffield,
Alfred Denny Building, Western Bank, Sheffield S10 2TN, UK
ph +44 (0)114 222 0026; fx +44 (0)114 222 0002
http://www.beckslab.staff.shef.ac.uk/