[R] Cycle Regression Analysis in R?

Carson Farmer cfarmer at uvic.ca
Thu Jan 10 23:27:55 CET 2008

Hello R community,

Does anyone know of a package that will perform cycle regression
analysis? I have searched the R-help archives etc. but have come up with
nothing so far.
If I am unable to find an existing R package to do so, is there anyone
familiar with fitting sine functions to data.  My problem is this:
I have a long time-series of daily SWE estimates (SWE = snow water
equivalence, or the amount of water stored in a snowpack) which follows
a sinusoidal pattern, and I need to estimate the parameters of the sine
function that best fits this data. While there may be many contributing
sine functions and/or linear trends, I am only interested in a single
sine function that most closely fits the data (trends can be removed
separately if need be).  Perhaps some sort of non-linear least squares
method would be best?

Any help, or suggestions to get me on the right track are greatly
appreciated.

Carson