[R] memory problems (not me. my pc!)

Sara Mouro sara at gmesintra.com
Wed Jan 9 11:25:44 CET 2008

Dear R users,

I have got an error message related with memory size, but I could not
understand if and how to solve it.
Could you please help me?

I was using the source quickPCNM-761.R, for a space matrix with 12572
rows (with X and Y (UTM) coordinates), and an Y matrix containing
response data, with 10 variables (with lots of zero values).

When I run:
  resPCNM<-quickPCNM(dados1,coordXY)

I got:
Error: cannot allocate vector of size 602.9 Mb
In addition: Warning messages:
1: In vector("double", length) :
   Reached total allocation of 254Mb: see help(memory.size)
2: In vector("double", length) :
   Reached total allocation of 254Mb: see help(memory.size)
3: In vector("double", length) :
   Reached total allocation of 254Mb: see help(memory.size)
4: In vector("double", length) :
   Reached total allocation of 254Mb: see help(memory.size)

Afterwards I have used memory.size as follows:

 > memory.size()
[1] 14.10536
 > memory.size(TRUE)
[1] 19.1875
 > round(memory.limit(), 2)
[1] 254.98

How could I solve this problem?
With another (i.e. with more memory) PC?
How much memory do I nedd? 602.9?

Best regards,
Sara Mouro
PS- I have also used the option range=TRUE, and thus I think the
memory problems have nothing to do with the (high) UTM values.
PS2- I hope the zero values in response variables are not a problem
for PCNM analysis?!