[R] GAM, GLM, Logit, infinite or missing values in 'x'

Simon Wood s.wood at bath.ac.uk
Tue Jan 8 10:04:50 CET 2008

Anders,

A very flexible logistic regression model is quite often able to predict some
subset of the data `perfectly' with the unfurtunate consequence that the
corresponding linear predictor is not well defined. My guess would be that
the extra flexibility of the gam is what is causing slightly more trouble
with `gam' than with `glm'.

That said the  `gam' fitting methods are supposed to deal with the numerical
consequences of such indefiniteness more elegantly than is the case for your
example. Any chance that you could send me the data so that I can dig into
this a bit more, and see if whatever is causing the error could be dealt with
more gracefully (or at least trapped earlier)? [If so, a text file usually
seems most painless, and I of course undertake not to do anything with the
data except investigate this issue].

best,
Simon