[R] Expressions in factor labels on postscript plots

kyselad kyselad at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 4 00:29:42 CET 2008

I'm trying to put Greek letters in factor labels on a boxplot. Using the
expression() format works great in axis labels, but seems not to cooperate
when applied to factor labels. More precisely, I'm assigning the labels from
a factor variable using:

var.order <- ordered(var, levels = c("A", "B"), labels=c(C, D) )

Then I create a boxplot with postscript output. If I assign C and D as
quoted text strings, they show up fine as regular text. When I try
expression() for C or D, it chokes.

Any ideas here? As a potential complication, I need mixed Greek and
non-Greek characters in the labels. Of course, that's easy enough if I can
get expression() working for me.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Best,
Dave