[R] Suggestion on how to make permanent changes to a single object in a list?

Peter Waltman waltman at cs.nyu.edu
Thu Jan 3 23:58:46 CET 2008

Hi Gabor -

Thanks for the 2 suggestions (and to Charilaos Skiadas as well, who also
suggested looking at proto).

I think I'm leaning towards using the new environment idea you
suggested, however, I don't quite get what a promise is (beyond what the
help page says and I didn't really follow it).

Is there a single document describing the relationship between
environments, assignments, bindings, etc?  Unfortunately, I haven't been
able to find anything which gives a good overview of what these are and
how they interact.

Clearly, it's beyond the introduction to R document that you can find on
the website, and any books I've looked at focus on how to use R to
generate statistical results, rather than on the actual language
aspects.  Finally, while the help pages may explain the individual
functions, I find these difficult to use without understanding the
general framework in which they work.

Thanks,

Peter