[R] INSTALL.in: Install R to local path?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jan 2 23:07:54 CET 2008

Well, the INSTALL _script_ is for installing packages.  But the top-level
INSTALL file says

'This document concerns building and installing R from sources.  Pre-made
  binaries are made available for some systems with varying regularity and
  can be obtained from CRAN (see the RESOURCES file).

  The main source of information on installation is the `R Installation
  and Administration Manual', an HTML copy of which is available as file
  `doc/html/R-admin.html'.  Please read that before installing R.  But
  if you are impatient, read on but please refer to the manual to
  resolve any problems.  (If you obtained R using Subversion, the manual
  is at doc/manual/R-admin.texi.)'

The cited manual does tell you how to install R in other places.
For example,

./configure --prefix=$HOME/R
make
make install

will install into ~/R.  (Since ~ is not an sh concept, you do need to use
$HOME.)

There is a lot more detail in the manual, and you can even install to a
different place once R is built.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk