[R] X11 graphics windows under CMD BATCH

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Wed Oct 24 16:46:18 CEST 2007

Luke,

On 24 October 2007 at 15:16, Luke Spadavecchia wrote:
| I am trying to plot some output from a  FORTRAN (ifort) program using
| R (2.5.1) under batch mode. In the FORTRAN code, I call R in batch

Your questions is essentially FAQ 7.19.

In non-interactive mode, R simply has no X11 device. You need xvfb or other
solutions.  A relatively new option is the Cairo device which IIRC does
not need X11 and a display variable.

| To put all this in context, I want to examine the results of a
| simulated annealing process at each temperature reduction stage of
| the annealing schedule. I am not doing the annealing in R for reasons
| of speed: I only want to use R as a graphics engine.

There are other options, including embedding R or running Rserve, but they
are all little more involved.

Cheers, Dirk