[Rd] `[` not recognized as a primitive in certain cases.

Michael Lawrence lawrence.michael at gene.com
Tue Mar 28 14:46:56 CEST 2017

There is a difference between the symbol and the function (primitive
or closure) to which it is bound.

This:
mc2 <- as.call(list(`[`,iris,2,"Species"))

Evaluates `[` to its value, in this case the primitive object, and the
primitive itself is incorporated into the returned call.

If you were to do this:
mc2 <- as.call(list(quote(`[`),iris,2,"Species"))

The `[` would _not_ be evaluated, quote() would return the symbol, and
the symbol would end up in the call.

The two forms have virtually identical behavior as long as the call
ends up getting evaluated in the same environment.