[Rd] Experimental CXX_STD problem in R 3.4

Martyn Plummer plummerm at iarc.fr
Sun Mar 19 21:09:07 CET 2017

C++ support across different platforms is now very heterogeneous. The standard is evolving rapidly but there are also platforms in current use that do not support the recent iterations of the standard. Our goal for R 3.4.0 is to give as much flexibility as possible. The default compiler is whatever you get "out of the box" without setting the "-std=" flag.  This means different things on different platforms. If you need a specific standard there are various ways to request one, as described in the R-exts manual.

On unix-alikes, the capabilities of the compiler are tested at configure time and appropriate flags chosen to support each standard. On Windows, the capabilities are hard-coded and correspond to the current version of Rtools, i.e. only C++98 and C++11 are currently supported.

C++17 support is experimental and was added very recently. Clang 4.0.0, which was released last week, passes the configuration tests for C++17, and so does gcc 7.0.1, the pre-release version of gcc 7.1.0 which is due out later this year. The tests for C++17 features are, however, incomplete.

I have just added some code to ensure that the compilation fails with an informative error message if a specific C++ standard is requested but the corresponding compiler has not been defined. Please test this.

Martyn