[Rd] . Possible issue with R-tools on Windows

Georgi Boshnakov georgi.boshnakov at manchester.ac.uk
Sun Mar 12 16:58:09 CET 2017

I encountered this issue a couple of months ago and resolved it by installing Rtools in the default directory
C:\Rtools, see below for details. I didn't have time to prepare a proper error report and in fact suspected that I may be messing up something.

I tracked down the error by installing from the command line, rather than with install.packages().

On Windows I keep multiple versions of Rtools  (and R)
and start a command window with a batch file which has something like the following at its start:

set Rroot=c:\ProgramF\R\R-3.3.2patched
set RtoolsRoot=c:\PROGRAMF\R\Rtools3p3

To change the R version I simply copy the file and change the above two lines correspondingly.
This worked for years until recently when

> R CMD INSTALL Countr_3.2.8.tar.gz

Produced an error:

c:/Rtools/mingw_32/bin/g++: not found

(notice that the installer looks in c:/Rtools for g++)

I knew and checked again that the path to Rtools was passed correctly.
I dealt with this by installing Rtools in c:\Rtools and changing the above line in the batch file to:

REM was: set RtoolsRoot=c:\PROGRAMF\R\Rtools3p3
set RtoolsRoot=c:\Rtools

and everything worked.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,