[Rd] Please add me to bugzilla

Bradley Broom bmbroom at gmail.com
Mon Mar 6 13:55:35 CET 2017

Apologies, I thought I was following exactly that sentence and trying to
make a minimal post that would waste as little developer bandwidth as
possible given the lack of a better system.

Anyway, I have been using R for like forever (20 years).

In my current project, I have run into problems with stack overflows in R's
dendrogram code when trying to use either str() or as.hclust() on very deep
dendrograms.

To duplicate, use this function from tests/reg-tests-1c.R in the R source
code:
mkDend <- function(n, lab, method = "complete",
                   ## gives *ties* often:
                   rGen = function(n) 1+round(16*abs(rnorm(n)))) {
    stopifnot(is.numeric(n), length(n) == 1, n >= 1, is.character(lab))
    a <- matrix(rGen(n*n), n, n)
    colnames(a) <- rownames(a) <- paste0(lab, 1:n)
    .HC. <<- hclust(as.dist(a + t(a)), method=method)
    as.dendrogram(.HC.)
}

Get a nasty dendrogram:

de <- mkDend(2000, 'x', 'single')

1st bug:
sink('somefile.txt'); str(de); sink();

What happens:
Error in getOption("OutDec") : node stack overflow

Also, the last call to sink() isn't executed because of the error, so
you'll need to call sink() after the error to clear the diversion.

What should happen:
Function completes without a stack overflow.

2nd bug:
hh <- as.hclust(de)

What happens:
Error: C stack usage  7971248 is too close to the limit

What should happen:
Function completes without a stack overflow.

A knowledgeable user might be able to increase R's limits to avoid these
errors on this particular dendrogram, but a) my users aren't that
knowledgeable about R and this is expected to be a common problem, and b)
there will be bigger dendrograms (up to at least 25000 leaves).

Please see attached patch for non-recursive implementations.

Regards,
Bradley