[Rd] can we override "if" in R?

Mark.Bravington at data61.csiro.au Mark.Bravington at data61.csiro.au
Mon Mar 6 02:09:51 CET 2017

I can't comment for Da, but one example where the ability to make 'if' generic would have been desirable:

A couple of years ago I wrote S3 classes and methods for 1-byte integers and logicals stored as raw vectors, in order to handle massive amounts of genetic data (by the standards of the day). Everything worked pretty nicely, ie I could "methodize" just about everything I needed--- except if-statements, which would fail to respect eg my definitions of NA. [ The precise details elude me, but if() was untrustworthy. ]  To use 'if()',  I had to remember to "typecast", which was prone to "user error".

Whether this kind of thing is worth the "risk", is another matter.

cheers
Mark

Mark Bravington
CSIRO Marine Lab