[Rd] stats::median

Adrian Baddeley adrian.baddeley at curtin.edu.au
Thu Mar 2 02:12:39 CET 2017

I agree it seems sensible to add an ellipsis to the formal arguments of the generic median().

The spatstat package has

                   median.im(x, na.rm=TRUE)

                   median.linim(x, ...)

These are both accepted by the package checker.

During the transition, perhaps methods for 'median' could have formals like 'median.linim'.

Of course this means that under older R versions, a call to the generic will not recognise/pass the new additional arguments. So, during the transition, other code in the package would need to explicitly call the method rather than the generic when the extra arguments are needed..

Alternatively - if we want to define the method differently according to the version number of R - isn't there a way to use Rd macros to include/exclude an \item declaration?

cheers

Adrian

Prof Adrian Baddeley DSc FAA

John Curtin Distinguished Professor

Curtin University, Perth, Western Australia