[Rd] Test suite failures in R-devel_2017-02-25_r72256

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Mar 1 08:35:32 CET 2017

On 27/02/2017 09:30, Peter Simons wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tried compiling the latest pre-release for R 3.3.3 for the NixOS Linux
> distribution [1], but the build fails during the "make check" phase
> because of the following 2 issues:

Hmm, R-devel (your subject line) is not a pre-release of R 3.3.3: it is
'R Under development' for what is planned as R 3.4.0.  Pre-release
tarballs for 3.3.3 are things like R-rc_2017-02-26_r72260.tar.gz (and
were previously labelled R-beta).

Your first point only occurs in R-devel, and was something already
reported and under investigation.  Note that test does not actually
depend on network access: it depends on having an accessible CRAN
mirror.  The latter could be local (and is on the CRAN check farm, for
example).  So we have been working on a more sophisticated condition to
run that test.

There are lots of possible check environments: it is very time-consuming
to check them all and reasonable coverage is only attempted once a
pre-release reaches 'alpha' status -- 3.4.0 has not done so but is
planned to be in late March.

I have just re-checked on Linux, and R 3.3.3 RC passed its checks
without Internet access (which is checked for where needed).

I also re-checked 3.3.3 RC without recommended packages and got the
expected messages about incomplete testing but no failures except in
'make check-recommended' (expected!).

Our posting guide does ask you to include the output of sessionInfo():
that would have avoided the version confusion (and might even have
alerted you to it).