[Rd] Passing R code from webpage

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 18 12:59:55 CET 2013

> Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 03:24:43 -0800
> From: matevzpavlic at gmail.com
> To: r-devel at r-project.org
> Subject: Re: [Rd] Passing R code from webpage
>
> Hi,
>
> i think all of this i kinda complicated, even though in all the packages
> authors are saying that "minimum code is required".
> I mean, i am not an IT engineer , but i have created quite some webpages, so
> i have some knowledge of HTML5, CSS, C# (limited), and also work quite a lot
> with R and still installing R to run as a webserver seems to be too
> complicated.
> I have look in all packages i can imaggine, Rook, ggoleVis, Shiny....but in
> all i get the problem when i want to connect to a MS SQL database.
>

> This is the workflow that i'd like to achieve :
> 1.) in webrowser connect to MS SQL database
> 2.) do some R statistics and plots
> 3.) show that in web browser.

Well, if you want a version of R that is a webserver that is one thing,
if you want a webserver that can call R and don't care how it scales then any server
that can execute arbitrary executables would work and you could ask on an apache list
for example. The problem is getting scaling. In the case we had, results were easily cached
and we had a facility for invoking bash scripts and so t the time the R instances were not a big
deal. There are several ways, like Rserve, to make R more server like. The case we had was mostly loaded
with short requests so we needed to fix the server threading model and used netty and java.
You may be happy with apache, no idea. This becomes an issue of R devel if anyone things
there are ways to make multiple R tasks work together better.

Accessing DB from R is probably a help question however :) Although here too scaling can be a matter
of caching facilities and a custom server may help there.