[Rd] CRAN task views: markdown? better .CSS?

Achim Zeileis Achim.Zeileis at uibk.ac.at
Fri Feb 1 10:21:10 CET 2013

On Thu, 31 Jan 2013, Michael Friendly wrote:

> On 1/31/2013 12:01 PM, Achim Zeileis wrote:
>> Michael:
>>
>>> CRAN task views are useful, but they seem difficult to write and maintain
>>> because the XML format is rather limited (no sectioning)
>>
>> What type of sectioning would you like to have? In the HTML part, you can
>> use the usual structuring tools like <h*>, <p>, etc. It's not
>
> OK. I think you mean the <info> ... </info> section, where I failed to
> read the vignette sufficiently closely, which talks about using HTML.
>>
>>> and the <packagelist> must be maintained manually.
>>
>> Yes, but I recently started adding tools to help checking this. Hopefully
>> I'll also get round to add some more convenience features for this.
>
> Something simple might be a tool to scan the <info> ... </info> section
> for <pkg> ... </pkg> mentions and just print a new <packagelist> section
> to the console.  This would avoid having to remember what you added
> recently and manually add to the <packagelist>

This is (almost) possible with the latest version of "ctv" (0.7-6). You
can do:

pkg <- check_ctv_packages("MyView.ctv")
pkg

This shows mismatches between the <info> and <packagelist> sections and
with CRAN. And then you can do:

writeLines(paste("  <pkg>", pkg[[1]], "</pkg>"))

possibly altering the indentation.

As I wrote in my previous post: I would like to better integrate these
tools with read.ctv() but didn't get round to it, yet.

Best,