[ESS] build problem

Tom Sgouros t@gouro@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Fri Feb 3 17:15:57 CET 2023

Hi All:

Is this the right list for build problems? I downloaded the ESS source and
got this right out of the box:

Downloads % cd ess-18.10.2

ess-18.10.2 % make

cd lisp; /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/make all

emacs -batch -no-site-file -no-init-file --directory . -f
batch-byte-compile ess-arc-d.el

make[1]: emacs: No such file or directory

make[1]: *** [ess-arc-d.elc] Error 1

make: *** [all] Error 2

This is a Mac, running OS X 11.6.4. The code was downloaded as a tgz and
the file exists.

tomfool using epsilon ess-18.10.2 % ls lisp/ess-arc-d.el

lisp/ess-arc-d.el

I imagine there is nothing special about this file except that it is the
first in the alphabet, so maybe there is something I should have configured
in the Makefile or Makeconf first? I did not see anything in the
instructions (https://ess.r-project.org/Manual/ess.html#Installation) to do
that, not sure where to go next.

Thank you for any suggestions,

 -Tom