[ESS] When the R window opens, sometimes it is side-by-side with my .Rnw file. I want them one above the other. It seems unpredictable

Karlo Guidoni Martins kgu|don|m@rt|n@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Fri May 27 23:48:53 CEST 2022

You can control both window size and position setting the
display-buffer-alist variable in your init.el file. The following snippet
should work:
(setq display-buffer-alist
      `(("*R"
         (display-buffer-reuse-window display-buffer-at-bottom)
         (slot . 1)
         (window-height . 0.3)
         (reusable-frames . 0)))

Also, have a look at: