[ESS] why a release from time to time would be nice

Toby Hocking tdhock5 @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue Sep 28 18:50:21 CEST 2021

Hi Rodney,
Just a point of clarification, it is completely OK for R-GSOC students to
write non-R code, and that happens every year (most common other languages
are probably FORTRAN/C/C++ and JavaScript but ESS/elisp should be fine
too). See non-R languages column in last year's coding projects table,
https://github.com/rstats-gsoc/gsoc2021/wiki/table%20of%20proposed%20coding%20projects
Also for the vast majority of other GSOC projects (all of them in my
experience) there is no problem with copyright. I'm not a copyright expert,
but maybe that is because the students are not being paid by their
universities to participate in GSOC? (google pays them a stipend, with the
purpose of encouraging them to contribute to free/open source software).
Toby