[ESS] Advice on setting up ESS to edit and knit Rmarkdown files

Wed Sep 22 14:26:59 CEST 2021

On 20 September 2021 at 13:59, Sparapani, Rodney via ESS-help wrote:
| Generally, this stuff should just work out-of-the-box.

Understood.

| And we are not a company like RStudio so this FOSS setup works for us as
| developers and hopefully it still serves the users well.

But legal structure has nothing to with 'calling a release'. Which is done by
authors (who should know the code better than users) saying "yep what we have
at HEAD right now is good" and then cut a tarball.  That is a _marker_.
Which some less-informed people like me can take (and then ship downstream to
Debian, and with that Ubuntu etc).

Without a marker, no shipment. Less ideal to me and others.

So pretty-please if someone would: could a release one of these moons. It
does not have to be frequent or regularly schedule or anything.  But maybe
more often than once every few years?  Maybe when you sync with upstream
Emacs (assuming you do now)?

Dirk

--
https://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd using debian.org